Saturday, February 1, 2014

How to Get a Keurig



The day has come that my husband has gone to the dark side. Why did he have to give me this news on a Friday morning, when I am heading out to work and had not had yet one sip of coffee? I can think of no other reason other than pure evilness. I wanted to crush him, how dare him? It will consume my thoughts all day at work. As he was making my morning coffee, he nonchalantly proclaimed that he was going to stop drinking coffee for the month of February and replace it with green tea. 

This is him handing me my cup of coffee; okay maybe not him, but this is how I envision it.

This is not only un-American, but not humane! What was my reply as he handed me MY cup of coffee? It was very spiritual, “Well I am NOT going to do that, because I haven’t prayed about it yet!” Then I went on to defend my only vice! “I don’t drink, smoke, or chew or run with those that do!” and I still have not warmed up to the idea; so “Good for you!” and off to work I went singing these boots were made for walking.

Till death do us part….

As I drove to work with my commuter buddy Matt Chandler from the Village Church, I begin justifying my love for coffee, at least I don’t drink it all day like I did in college…at least I don’t drink four cups a day anymore like I did a couple of years ago…at least…at least…at least…then Matt said he, too, was doing a coffee fast, as they prayed as a church about expanding and building a larger facility so they could get away from doing nine, yes nine services! The only coffee fast I want to engage in is finding coffee fast! After all, I was reminded by Pinterest and courtesy of I Love Lucy, that most of the world problems can be solved over a cup of coffee.

See you can tell world problems are being solved here
I am blaming Facebook for this coffee fast; after all, it is where I am pretty sure he read an article from there that said drinking coffee is unhealthy. So what does one do when they want to defend their position they go to Google, these were my favorite.

One opinion (not scientific), against any and all caffeine, evil…evil…evil:


Another opinion (not scientific) for benefits with really cool pictures of coffee, I almost thought I could taste and smell it brewing (see I am an addict; however, I prefer the term “devoted”):

Mayo Clinic – finally someone with some sense:
 
After reading a few more scientific studies and articles, I warmed up to “maybe I could just cut down to one cup a day; instead of the two I currently drink”. Then the enemy said, “Do you really want to brew a pot of coffee for just one measly cup?” Yes, he used the word “measly”, and I agreed and said, “That is why we need a Keurig.” See how a woman’s mind works? A woman highly stimulated on two cups of java?

Could I do just one cup a day? With a Keurig I could…and my conniving husband could have his green tea too! This friends, is how we got our Keurig.

It's been a beautiful experience!
And so my final decision for myself is what the Mayo Clinic article refers to as “everything in moderation” (except for smoking, don’t smoke) so then one would have to define “moderation”. After all, everything I have read about coffee it is a great source of antioxidants and may cut down Parkinson Disease risk. In this article that list out the caffeine content for coffee, tea and soda. It recommends cutting back if you consume more than 500 mg a day; and currently with my two cups of generic brewed coffee I am consuming about 190 to 400 mg a day. I will define that as moderation. So boom! I am okay and I still get a Keurig!
  
There is something about holding a hot drink in my hand and the warmth the sliding down my throat to my belly that makes me have such strong attachment. I can’t get this verse out of my mind that says, “Then I will open the windows of heaven and flood you with cup after cup of java [emphasis mine], okay so it doesn’t say that, but it does say “flood you with blessing after blessing”, same thing, right? 

My all-time favorite coffee cup

Do you drink coffee? If so, how much? Do you have a Keurig? If so, what is your favorite drink? Do you have a favorite coffee cup? What is it? 

For sin shall not have dominion over you;
for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14

No comments:

Post a Comment