Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Whatever Wednesday Writings - I'm Done with the Mud Pies



Failure. I started 2014 with the hopes of writing one post a week and posting it on Wednesday. I should have known picking Wednesdays would be dangerous, but since I don’t watch action films I had to bring in some type of action-oriented adventure like struggling against incredible odds of writing and posting on a work/church day. However, I did make it to March 12th, but then Spring Break happened, then I quit drinking all forms of soda pop, then migraines happened, then my daughter got her driving permit, so you can see I have been highly involved in frantic chases during Spring Break, physical feats with overcoming soda pop, and finally stunts and special effects with driving training, but this week I am back, at least I am going to try.

This past weekend as I mentioned in my previous post I attended a ladies retreat where God had some very specific things to say to me about forgiveness, humility, surrender and finishing well and I hope I don’t get spiritual amnesia any time soon.

I will share one thing that spoke to me this weekend and hopefully over the coming Wednesdays I can share more, because there was so MUCH good stuff I really need to camp out on a few of them.
I will start with what Cody Dunbar the Worship Leader for the weekend said before we started the Friday night worship time, and that is “God’s glory remains. How much do I want to jump in on?” God’s glory is not depended on me or us, it’s always there. It remains despite anything or anyone, the question for me is am I going to take part in His glory or sit on the side of the road with my iPhone? Christianity is too often a label we wear and not a lifestyle we live out.

One of the speakers shared this C.S. Lewis quote, “It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily entertained.”

I want MORE than mud pies.
Too easily entertained, too distracted with work, too troubled with the things of this world…before the retreat, I had fallen prey to being too easily entertained and distracted by worshiping the idols of social media and the DVR. I don’t have issues as C.S. Lewis says “with drink and sex and ambition” or even with playing games those things don’t steal my time and affection and I am not becoming a nun, but I spend too much time on social media and entertaining myself in front of the TV, don’t we all? Spiritual strength, just like any other kind of strength, does not come natural or easy; so, I have to make an active and intentional choice to stop giving my time and praise of seeking false gods because time is fleeting. I want to be like Mary, Martha’s sister, and I want to choose the ONE thing that will fulfill my soul, the good part that will not be taken away from me. (Luke 10:41-42) I don’t want work to work me or life to consume me, or get upset when my team doesn’t win, because there is only ONE thing necessary.

I need accountability. I’ve told my family and close friends to ask me if I am giving my best and most to the One who died for me. So far, I am on track. No, I am not quitting social media and the DVR (yet), but those momentary things are certainly getting the last of my day. Since this past weekend, those necessary things (time with my Savior in prayer, my “Expect MORE” bible study, payer time with my prayer partner, and my daily bible reading) have been moved to the top of the list. What I have found is  after the necessary things are complete, I have work, time with my family, shopping/cooking, sleeping and the amount of time I spend going into a room looking for something, forgetting what I was in there for, leaving and then returning because I remembered…then my day is gone and I haven’t even missed those momentary things.

When I told Jay that I am switching my priorities in life, he said “Then do you want me to tell you who wins the Amazing Race?” I said, “Sure, tell me.” He said, “Wow, you are serious. You are getting too spiritual, you are going to turn into a monk” I hope so, the spiritual part, not the monk part (not that being a monk is bad, it’s just not for this married woman). I am tired of living in the slums and making mud pies, I want MORE, I want MORE of His glory, I want that holiday at the sea and I don’t want to be easily entertained, so if I miss something on social media that I need to know, please know that it isn’t because I don’t care, it is probably because social media is getting much less of me and Jesus is getting MORE of me, because I am choosing MORE of Him. Does this resonate with anyone other than me?

“Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.” James 4:8

“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.” 1 Peter 5:8-9

1 comment: