Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Whatever Wednesday Writings - No Pay May



I arrived home from work one day in April and my dear husband told me we were going to do a “No Pay May”. There were a lot of things I wanted to say to that but here is what I said, “Reallllly? What’s that?” I thought it meant we weren’t going to pay our bills. Wrong. He said, “We only pay our bills and purchase necessities.” He then went on to say, “I also saw where you can turn your hangers around in your closet and after a season the hangers that are still facing backwards you get rid of that stuff.” He is testing me now, feathers are getting ruffled, so I shoot back, “Where have you been? Where have you getting these ideas? On Pinterest?” He said the No Pay May was his idea, but he did see the hanger thing online. Humph. Really? Now my husband is many things –spiritual, smart, witty, humorous, strong, handsome, giving but he is not a rhymer. So I went to Pinterest to investigate, because I have heard of this type of bravery.  When I typed in “No Pay May” in Pinterest, pins of candles, Seattle skyline wall art, and Hunger Games key chains were some of the pins. Not what I expected to see, the only thing remotely to what my crazed husband was alluding to was a bill and payment checklist. Next I visited my popular friend Google and asked her about “No Pay May” and while she yielded 2.4 billion results in less than a second, none on the first several pages mentioned anything ludicrous as my husband was suggesting. So now I guess I have a rhyming husband on my hands. I didn’t mention that Jay was standing there with his big ears on listening to our conversation. Darryl then went on to say we are going to eat up everything in our pantry and freezers and we will only buy foods that perish, like milk, eggs, fruits, veggies and bread. I asked, “And the purpose of this is….?” He said, “To have a surplus at the end of the month.” To which Jay replied, “So you can spend it on me!” Of course.


I know it sounds like I am opposed, but I am not and I agree, but I am afraid! May is a long month and is also the month I like to go to garage sales because the weather is nice, you know to find treasures to refurbish and bring back to life. So I am taking a step of faith and obedience in May because I am that submissive wife. I will let you know how it goes. I know people have done this before. How did it go? Any tips you can give me?

No comments:

Post a Comment