Sunday, April 14, 2013

Senor the Golf Dog

Today after church I was totally lazy and enjoyed a day watching the Masters. Something that my dad did every year, not the lazy part, but watching the Masters. He always wanted to go, but now he is with the MASTER, and I am pretty sure it is way better. But today, in memory and honor of my dad, I watched the final day in it's entirety. I watched the moments unfold, like watching "professionals" hitting out of the woods, out of the rough, the deep sand bunkers, from out behind trees and from on top of sticks. I. love. golf. Golf is one sport that keeps a person humble. Dad use to say, if you do bad in golf, you have no one else to blame. True. Tough stuff, but oh so much fun, because I love a challenge.

So here I sit on top of my comfy bed watching professionals under pressure trying to keep their feet on the wet ground when I realized that Mr. Senor Harjo was missing out on the action.


So I invited him up on my nice comfy bed since Darryl isn't here..shhhhhh....don't tell Darryl...but you see Senor Harjo is 12 years old, almost 13 and his eye sight isn't what it used to be and those golf balls are small! Just like a kid to get right in your line of vision. "Hey! Mister....down in front, your big ears are blocking that one corner of my view!" I say.


One of the things I love about Senor Harjo is his ears. Perky. Tall. Alert. It is what makes him CHIHUAHUA. But don't tell him, he thinks he is Mr. Senor Harjo, Head of Household (don't tell Darryl either). Plus those ears landed him the title of President of the Neighborhood Watch Program. He's famous. He gives lessons. He gives autographs.


Senor loves golf too. I think it is because he is so mellow. He probably dreams of running free on the nice shaved grass and marking every flag pole. Hey, a dog can dream right? I think he likes golf because it is a quiet game, no loud bells, whistles or buzzers, just hushes, soft golf claps and soft voices of English commentators saying things like, "he is like a weary old fox". No Senor he isn't speaking of you, lay down and watch. It's Sudden Death! So he lays down and I don't have the heart to tell him his back side is bigger than his ears. Oh well.


EEEEeeekkk! I am soooo excited! Sudden death! Extra holes. Senor Harjo is obviously not excited as I am. They are perfectly matched. I didn't really care who won. I loved the father/son combination of Angel Cabrera, but I also loved the chance to see Adam Scott win the first green jacket for Australia. The country I almost became a citizen of when I did a TDY tour there...another story...a love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment