Saturday, November 6, 2010

Take a look out your back window

What an exciting day it was! One morning last week Jayden was screaming for me to run to the back door to see what was outside! He was filled with excitement and joy, he could hardly wait for me to arrive at the window as if “what was there” was going to be gone soon. I thought what is it? A deer? Hello Dione! We live in a city with a big picket fence. Was it a rabbit? That is likely. Off I went to investigate what had my 8 year old son jumping for joy. I arrived at the back window and looked out but I didn’t see anything different. I inquired again as to what was I looking at, when he replied, “Look Mom, there is frost on the grass!” I ashamedly thought, “Is that all?”.


Sure enough there was a layer of dew/frost gently covering the blades of grass, waiting to be burned away by the day. That is when the Holy Spirit hit me with how many times do I overlook the blessings of God, how often do I overlook His creation, His miracles and dismiss them as normal or expectant? I hated to confess that it was often. Daily. Hourly. That I look at and experience the goodness of God that surrounds me day in and day out and expect it to always be the same way. This was a new revelation to me, it surprised me, I always thought I was much appreciative of God’s handiwork, His creation, until I was “frost-bitten” by my casual attitude to my son’s excitement over frost on the ground.


<reality check>

Consider what Abraham Lincoln said:
“I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.”

Why is it when we look around the universe and see the things made by man we exclaim, “Wow! Isn’t that remarkable? Wonderful!”, but when we are shown this incredible universe and the different people, how each snowflake is unique, each person having three billion unique pieces of DNA, and how the sky can leave frost in the morning we say, “Is that all?” How could I say “Is that all?” when God’s creation both simple and complex are more complex than any thing we know, more than any thing that man can create?

I believe we get caught up in the ordinary routine of life and expect certain things and we often go without pausing to thank the Giver. We expect to breathe. We expect our hearts to beat. We expect to see. We expect to hear. We expect to smell. I expect to see dew on the ground on cold mornings.

Yet this expectation can confirm the truth, that I am nothing apart from Christ. It keeps me depended on His sufficiency and His grace.

But his favor is like dew on the grass. Proverbs 19:12

Does the rain have a father? Who fathers the drops of dew? Job 38:28

Look around with fresh new eyes and see the favor of Lord’s dew in your life. You shouldn’t have to look too far. I didn’t, just need to look out my back window.

No comments:

Post a Comment