Sunday, December 19, 2010

Choking on M&Ms? I know the Heimlich maneuver!

I am probably going to step on some toes with this blog, but I hope it is with flip-flops and not steel toed boots.

Have you seen or heard of the thick silicone wristbands that are so popular among the young people?

Well, of course, Darya wants one of those large wristbands, while at the mall we went into Hot Topic. They had the thick wristbands but most had sayings on them that I did not approve of - that should have been my first clue.

But there was one that said “Recovery” with a red cross. In my mind those two items together mean Red Cross…Search & Rescue, first aid, you know something good and notable. Fortunately, my husband was with us and is wise and aware. He immediately said no to the recovery wristband. I asked, “Why not? It says recovery, that’s good, right?” He said no that it is Eminem. Which sounds a lot like M&M. I thought, okay recovering those who choke on M&Ms, that can’t be bad? I know I am so hip! Actually Eminem according to Wikipedia is an American Rapper who has 11 Grammys so far in his career. He is listed on Rolling Stone’s Greatest Artist of All Time and his most recent album; you guessed it “Recovery” is his seventh album. Apparently a lot of people like him and his music.


You may know who this M&M guy is, I didn’t and I am thankful my husband did and I wasn’t sporting a Recovery wristband, thinking it was something good when in fact the lyrics this man sings promotes things I don’t agree with.

I googled his lyrics and let’s just say they made me sick. All kinds of profanity, the degradation of females and love, the lyrics sing praises and glorification of drugs, sex, violence and hate. Belittling Godly values such as purity, honesty, integrity and holiness. All this from an Eminem song which I picked out because I thought it would be positive since it was entitled, “Mom”. Wow, is that what wins Grammys?

Which takes me to a topic which I know many Christians face and that is if it is okay to listen to secular music? I’d be the first to admit I love some country and western music.
I am no expert on the Bible or on music, but I do know when the Spirit of God that lives within me is grieved, when my thoughts are taken to places that are not true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8). When a song transports me to a time or place in my life that did not bring glory to God, I probably should not dwell or entertain myself with it. As soon as I am resolved to be consecrated, the songs pop up in some of the least expecting places like
Sesame Street
or on Megamind! There I go like the Starship Enterprise being beamed out to a place in my life I would rather forget about. No wonder that childhood songs says, “be careful little eyes what you see…be careful little ears what you hear”.

Clearly I am trapped in a secular world where the prince of the power of the air rules.

Anyway, before I break out into a song, I want to share a few items on this topic that the good Lord has dealt with me personally about. They are completely my convictions.

While the Bible doesn’t speak against any style of music, it does teach me as a believer, a follower of Jesus Christ not to be conformed to the pattern on this world (Romans 12:2 ); to think upon things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy. (Philippians 4:8 );

For me the best kind of music is that which praises and glorifies God. Talented Christian musicians work in nearly every musical genre. I love me some Chris Tomlin, Matthew West, Casting Crowns, Third Day and Norman Bebo just to name a few. For me, there is nothing inherently wrong with any particular style of music, but it is the lyrics that determine whether I should listen and entertain myself with it. For me if anything leads me to think about or get involved in something that does not glorify God, I do my best to avoid it. Many times we want a hard list of do’s and don’ts, can’s and cant’s - a list of rules to guide us; but it is a heart issue. What does my heart desire? What does my heart crave? Is it holiness, purity and integrity or is it to devalue these? I want a heart that is tender, soft and responsive to the things of God; to His holiness. Things that harden and numb my heart I want no part of it. Why would I want to entertain myself with things that my Savior died to set me free from? The Lord has been so good to me, for His Spirit that convicts, teaches and changes me. What grace that He, the King of Kings, Creator of the universe would take the time to change, make and mold me into something better. May the Spirit of God dwell in me richly and may I bring Him glory by being not only hearer but a doer.

No comments:

Post a Comment