Thursday, February 10, 2011

Full House...Full Throttle Ahead!

Our house is always full.

Full of kids.

Full of voices.

Full of laughter

Our house is loud.

Ask anyone who has visited us. We have an irrational Chihuahua named Senor Harjo who barks every time the door bell rings or there is a knock on the door. He can see you...even know you...but he still barks foolishly. It has to be inbred because regardless all our attempts to get him to stop he just can’t stop. I wished the dog whisperer would come whisper sweet threats into his big ears. Senor Harjo is Darya’s dog. My mom got him for Darya when she was just 2 years old and she is now 12. Which makes Senor Harjo an OLD man and he certainly fits the part, he is grumpy and his farts would put Walter the Farting Dog to shame! There he goes again barking and there is no one at our door! Do you think he knows that I just posted that truth on my blog? Maybe I should switch to our newest addition Cuddles.

Don't let Senor Harjo fool you, he isn't as smart as he looks.
Senor Harjo and his friends - at least they are quiet!

Cuddles is a rescue dog and soon you will know why. We found this sweet little girl at the Yukon Animal Rescue Shelter. She is Jayden’s dog. We originally named her Sally not sure why. Once we got her home and discovered how much she loved to cuddle we changed her name. Well after having her for a few days we soon realized why she was probably at the rescue center, let’s just say she has an over active bladder when someone speaks to her. As soon as you greet her she will wet the floor. I am so thankful we don’t have carpet! So if you ever come over to visit ignore the cute brown/blonde terrier mix dog, just act like she is not there. Since we are Native Americans we believe in giving names that fit personalities, so we had an official re-naming ceremony and Cuddles is now Puddles. Does anyone know do they make Detrol for dogs?

Cuddles, I mean Puddles.
They melt my heart!

When I think of how loud our house always is, I think of my dear friend and co-worker Pamela. Pam lives in Wynnewood, OK which is out in the country. Well I grew up with concrete under my feet, I have always been an Urban Indian so all those pastures, cow chips and barbed-wire fences are new to me. The first time I went to visit her at her new house, we pulled up some carpet and sat on the floor of her new home and begin to talk and laugh (we do a lot of that when we are together). I asked her, “Pam, how do you stand it?” She said, “Well Dione, I am going to get furniture, I just moved in.” I replied, “No, I am talking about the silence!” It was so stinkin’ quiet there...AND she didn’t have curtains, which freaked me out! See, I am used to noise...and coverings over my windows. Right now the noises are Darryl Skyping with Joe, my children plus Nadia playing hide and go seek in the house, so lots of counting and high pitched shrills, followed by that’s not fair!!

See what happens when you take the county to the city?
One of my all time favorite pictures/trips of Pamela and I.

I love my LOUD home. And when it gets too loud, I remind myself that I would much rather them be here, under the safety of our home than any where else. I know one day this house will be less loud, but now it is a blessing to have a full house that goes full throttle from am to pm. I guess the doctors were right when they told us that our kids were "crashers and bangers".

So God tells us in everything give thanks. I am blessed beyond measure and today, as every day for many years now, I am profoundly grateful for my loud family and house.

Do you remember the Loud Family on Saturday Night Live way back in the 70’s? Well, we don't yell at each other, but our walls echo with loudness. Is your house loud like mine? Do you always have extra children at your house?



No comments:

Post a Comment