Monday, January 31, 2011

Finally! A Victory, Charlie would be so proud!

Nothing like working hard all day then taking time to prepare a hot meal to have your kids moan and groan about what you put before them. Is that what is meant by presenting myself as a living sacrifice? It sure feels like it on those days. So what do you do when your kids moan and groan about what’s for dinner or are mine the only picky ones? I followed my parent’s lead and gave the notable reason why they should be grateful for having a hot meal! You know all the starving children in the third world countries.

Both of my children are fairly picky eaters. Darya not so much, as she has grown so has her taste buds; but Jayden just until recently refused to eat anything but just a few items. However, The Mom, me, instituted a new rule that when mom cooks a meal, that is dinner, no cooking your own meal. If you choose not to eat dinner the next meal is breakfast. Jayden has gone to bed several nights without dinner and to his amazement he is still alive and now he at least tries the meal and to his surprise has discovered that he likes parmesan crusted tilapia, lemon pepper grilled tilapia, tator tot casserole and a few other items. Darya, however, hates any fish. She has tried them but doesn’t like any of them.

By the way, I told you I went to that Coupon Class, right? Carrie at Coupon Closet said that you have to change your thinking when it comes to couponing and meal planning. Typically we plan our meals go to the store and buy what we need. The new way of meal planning is make your purchases with coupons then plan your meals on what you have in the pantry and fridge.

So tonight, I used the handy Allrecipes.com website and made “Smiles All Around” which was actually Tuna Casserole. I tweaked it a bit because I didn’t have regular milk only light vanilla soy milk. Plus using water probably saved us some extra calories. When they asked, “What’s for dinner?” I didn’t dare tell them the real name of the recipe. I seen on the Kraft webpage that they referred to the macaroni as smiles, thus the substitute name “Smiles All Around”. Margaret Thatcher said, “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” So with my battle gloves on and my new Anthropologie apron, I set out to bring fish to my table again, this time honoring Starkist Charlie the Tuna.

Much to my surprise, “Smiles All Around” was a big hit and even second helpings were requested! So I want to be a team mom player and share this recipe with you. If you coupon you probably have the Kraft Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese and the rest is stuff you probably have. Some people said on the reviews they didn’t have cream of celery so the substituted it with cream of mushroom or chicken with success. My tweaked recipe added four extra ingredients (Italian bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder and French fried onions).



Smiles All Around (Tuna Casserole)

1 box Kraft Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese
Reserve ½ cup water drained from the noodles or ½ cup of milk
2 tablespoons light butter
1 can fat free cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked
¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup shredded cheese
½ cup of French fried onions

Prepare Kraft Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese according to directions. In place of the milk, I used ½ cup water drained from the cooked noodles. The butter you will use with seasoning mix and cheese from the Kraft Homestyle Mac & Cheese.

Once you have completed the Mac and Cheese according to the package directions, combine the soup, tuna, bread crumbs, and onion & garlic powder, mix well. Pour into a baking dish and top with cheese, the topping from the Macaroni & Cheese dinner and the French fried onions and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with a veggie! We had green beans.







If you make it, I hope you and your kids like it as much as we did, us moms have to stick together!

May I leave you with some Spiritual food to feast on? The Bread of Life always satisfies. No additives or substitutes needed. Time on your knees, heart humbled before Him and time in His Word is all we need. He gives me the kind of meal I always want to super size! And unlike pasta after eating the Spiritual food you aren’t left feeling empty an hour later.

“Therefore, brethren (and sisters), by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” Romans 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment