Thursday, March 24, 2011

2011 Spring Break - OKC Zoo

It's true!

We just aren't that smart!

Well except Darya she stayed with a friend.

Why in the world did we suggest going to the Zoo during Spring Break?

Didn’t we know that the Oklahoma City Zoo, spring weather and returning elephants would mean record setting attendance during Spring Break?

Jayden wanted to go see the lions, tigers and elephants! Well apparently so did the rest of Oklahoma City! Police directing traffic and having to park at Remington Park should have been our first clue of what was to come.

When we reached the admission area and saw the winding line to purchase tickets, we decided, "You know what? We don't have to do this. We home school. We can pick another day, preferably a day when everyone else is in school." So we turned around and started back to our vehicle, but Jayden’s shoulders dropped down past his belly button and his knuckles were draggin’ the ground. For a moment I thought a four-toed sloth had managed to escape the zoo and follow us home. There was no amount of pleas, bribes, justifications or common sense that would convince my eight year old son that any other day but the present was the best day to explore the zoo.

Thus off we went to the ticket line. Again.

Surprisingly the line moved quickly. I secretly hoped it would have painfully dragged out and he would have changed his mind, but 10 minutes and we were in and on our way to explore.

This guy eats better than me! Sorry for the blurriness, but I *dislike* reptiles.
I am actually shivering right now as I type this. For a veggie diet he sure has a big gut!
Trying to figure out how to add wheels and turn this
into a piece of luggage for me.
It was a great day! Everyone was moving even the turtles!
I wished I could be that happy with my rough skin and blubber.
This guy stood up, beated his chest and ran full blast at us and hit the glass right
in front of us. I am pretty sure he felt threatened that I was going to eat his bananas.
A tender moment between two sisters "Asha and Chandra".
I snapped this photo because I wasn't too sure
how close we were going to be able to get,
remember *record setting days*? I guess that
is better than *record setting temperatures".

Isn't this sweet? Asha (in the water) is expecting her first calf in May 2011, her big sister
Chandra is comforting her. Seeing this flooded me with my labor days with Darya and how
I wanted to GIVE UP! Completely. Done. But Gaye was there to help me get through it.
Yes, Darryl was there too, but I REALLY didn't want much to do with him at that moment,
after all in my mind at that time he was the one that caused all that pain!
The water must have felt good because she was rolling around in it for awhile.


Just a small portion of the beautiful brand new Asian-themed elephant habitat.
Oklahoma City has one of the best zoos ever!

Chandra came over and did some tricks.
Wishing I was that beautiful when I slept.
This guy was obviously cranky and could use some Cologate Advance Teeth Whitening
Strength. What this bear and my husband have in common.
Oh. And the black hair.
Eagles. Proud. America. Del City High School. Kerr Jr. High...
Majestic. Beautiful. I am a Bald Eagle...your national emblem.
Well as you can tell it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. We did actually get to see most of the animals and they were all ready to give us a show. I saw my beautiful sister-in-law and niece Olivia and despite Darryl and I both getting ran over by crazed mommies in strollers we survived. Outlook does determine outcome.

1 comment:

  1. We went out there but didn't like the crowds. So we saw a movie instead.

    ReplyDelete