Saturday, April 2, 2011

Start Your Saturday The Sale Is On!

Spring and Summer are here, so you know what that means...the Garage Sale Sisters ventured out this morning in our first outing of the year. I prefer to call it discovering vintage, bargain hunting or recycling - you know doing my part to protect the environment. I'm green like that.

Garage salin' has been in our families for years, it is a generational draw. In fact, it was at a garage sale that my mom purchased my brother Buster at least according to my sister when she was a wee little one. We have found some really great useable items at just a fraction of the cost of purchasing new, however there is a line to be drawn on what you purchase, just my opinion. It's amazing though to see what some people own and actually put out to sale. My all time favorite thing to hunt for are books. I once bought the Joy Berry Be Good series at a garage sale for $5 and sold them on Ebay as a complete set for 110 buckaroos! I also purchased a couple of old vintage Highlights magazines that were in great shape for a dime each, I wished I would have bought more because they sold for $10 and $11 each on Ebay.

The other attraction to garage salin' is there are always stories to tell, it is like reality TV in person! Today these two ladies were looking through this woman's clothes, holding them up, flipping them around trying to decide if they wanted to make the purchase. They were like "Ooooo that one's cute! How about this one? I like it too! What about this one? No, that one looks too seductive." Seriously! I wondered what the woman selling her clothes thought. Seductive? What were they saying? That she was a tramp?

Garage salin' can be quite entertaining, like when the wife leaves the husband in charge so she can run in the house to do something and when she returns he has accepted every "talk down offer" and sold almost everything. Then it is like you are ring side ESPN style! I think the guys just want to get back to their throne with their remote controls. However, in my opinion, garage sales are to sale your items, get rid of them and make a little money in the process. If you are looking to get rich by holding a garage sale you are going to be disappointed. When we have a garage sale, we mark to sale, because I hate packing that stuff up!

Then you have many different types of people who have garage sales. First the people who think very highly of their items and they mark their items with really high prices and just for a few more dollars you could go buy it new. Then they turn on their salesmanship and go into detail about either how new it still is, worn only once, only laundered with Woolite, etc... Then you have the people who everything that have is "vintage" they say it is really, really old. Well, if it is that old then it should be cheap or maybe they should put it in the Smithsonian. Then there are those people who seriously only have junk, broken things. These are typically the people who dump all their clothes in a big pile on a sheet in the middle of their yard. These last groups of garage sales are the ones we do "drive-bys" on - meaning you keep on driving.


Baby clothes are typically pretty good to buy at garage sales, because babies just don't wear them that long and sometimes not at all! Like these shoes, brand new still with tags for $1 each! Cute little pair of Nikes, huh? Then an Itsy Bitsy Tini Wini Pink Polka Dot Gymboree bathing suit - 50 cents!


My next great find was a set of golf clubs with covers and a stand golf bag complete with balls, tees and a towel for $10! Jayden had outgrown his last set and today I found the next size up! Those were my finds for today. There were lots of garage sales out and the weather was great, but Gaye was going to watch Aubrey play soccer and I had to go "coach" volleyball at the YMCA.



Did you know today was National Peanut Butter & Jelly Day? It is always April 2nd. So in celebration I had my all time favorite combination. Crunchy peanut butter, strawberry jelly on wheat, with plain chips and pepperoncinis. Yes. Pepperoncinis make the combo. No. I am not pregnant. Don't knock it until you try it! I have converted my husband, you could be next, I could start my own Facebook Page! Here is a fun little tidbit I found on Ehow about how PB&J sandwiches were discovered. Legend has it that American soldiers in World War II mixed their rations of peanut butter and jelly to make a new treat. When they returned sales of peanut butter and jelly soared. Everyone was soon making PB&J sandwiches. I also read a new way to make PB&J and that is make the sandwich as normal, then butter the outside and grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich. Hmmmm....may have to try that!

See those two girls in WHITE? Volleyball WINNERS!!
They played awesome today!
I found two others to celebrate PB&J with me today,
but they didn't want the pepperoncinis!

Right after the volleyball game and a great lunch of PB&J, I pulled out the bucket, ladder, water hose and sponges and cleaned my dirty vehicle - inside and out! Took me close to three hours! That's a big vehicle you know! Whew. I am tired too; the upside is I burned some calories. I hope I am not too sore tomorrow!

Happy Gilmore
So after Darya's volleyball game and cleaning the SUV, we headed over to Lakeside to hit some balls. However, their driving range was not open, but the guy gave us a bucket of balls and let us hit balls in the range area for free! All we had to do was go pick them up and bring them back to him. That was a treat!

As I begin to wind down for the day, I am rejoicing in the goodness of my heavenly Father. Thankful that I am able to enjoy the day with my family (minus Darryl). Darryl enjoyed a mental/physical health break today and went to play some basketball with some friends. I thank God for Saturdays, even though they are at full speed and I am worn out at the end of the day, I love having a full day to spend with those that I love most.

So, there you go. A Saturday with the Harjo's. Aren't you glad you dropped in today? What did you do today? I can hear my friend Renita at work say, "As little as possible." I long for those quiet days too, it's just that they don't happen too often here.


No comments:

Post a Comment