Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Country Church Experience

Today we traveled to Caddo First Baptist Church at Fort Cobb, Oklahoma. A country church. Simple. No PowerPoint’s. No four point sermons. No choir. No orchestra. No parking lot security. Sweet and simple. A past co-worker and friend of mine got saved in December and was getting baptized. I am so thankful she remembered me and knew that I would be rejoicing along side the angels in this good news! For me that called for a road trip for a front row seat!


On the way there we made a pit stop at the Gathering of Nations,…the one place that all nations converge on despite the day or time of week…Wal-Mart. When you start the day with coffee and vitamin water you probably should not be taking a road trip, but I did. When we got out of the vehicle and walked up to the store Jayden observed the goodness of small town America, “It’s peaceful here.” Indeed it was, it was quiet. In the parking lot. In the store. Everywhere.
We took the turnpike out, as we slowed down and pulled up to the toll booth to pay our fees, Jayden says, “we’re crossing the border?”
Once we arrived at the little country church the first thing I noticed were the three crosses off to the right, then I noticed all the children running and playing on the grass/dirt parking lot. Boys to be specific. I counted 16 total boys, children to youth.



Amon Harjo is the preacher. He kind of reminds me of my grandpa; but he is a cute, little older man who has the light of the gospel shinning through him. Most people outside of the American Indian culture think all Harjos are related. Everyone within the American Indian culture knows the name Harjo is like Smith or Jones. Being guests in a small country church calls attention to you; well, actually being a guest in a small town calls attention to you. Jayden didn’t like this. When the song leader asked for someone to give a testimony, Jayden looked at me and said, “Don’t say anything. Don’t embarrass me.” So I stood up ..…just teasing, I granted his wish and remained quiet, until my friend pointed us out as she was introducing her family that came to join in her day of baptism. Then the pastor asked if I would introduce the rest of my family. So I did and it embarrassed him, hand in face and red face hanging down. I love being a parent!
The song service begin with Holy, Holy, Holy; then the Sweetest Hour of Prayer (which Jayden said, "for dad it is two hours of prayer" and it is) and then on to Blessed Assurance.
Just so you know, you can’t go to an American Indian church and not here at least one hymn being sung in a native language. This song was in the native language of Caddo. Often times you can tell what hymn is being sung by the melody, but this one I wasn’t sure and I forgot to ask, but it was beautiful. The worship leader said, “no song book needed, the song is carried in the heart”.
The message came out of Matthew 8:5-13 about the faith of the centurion.  In case you didn’t know a centurion in the Roman Empire is a high ranking officer who commands 100 soldiers (equal to present day sergeants, I read in my footnotes). Simply by the centurion seeking and calling out to Jesus as Lord instead of Caesar he was putting his life on the line. However, this centurion knew Jesus, his faith was strong, he believed in the Word of God but I noticed something else. He had a compassionate heart.
In verses 5 and 6 it said the centurion came to Him (Jesus), pleading with Him saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented." See the centurion could have not cared, he probably had many servants at his disposal, but he did not. He sought out the One with by a word could bring healing. And Jesus did.
The centurion knew the power of God's Word, he knew that if Jesus only spoke it then it would happen. Just as in the centurion's position of authority, he could say to the soliders "go", "come" or "do this" and they would do it. He knew that Jesus's authority and God's Word was much more powerful than his earthly authority over soliders.  In verse 10 it says that when Jesus heard this, "He marveled".
I want to have that kind of faith! A faith that causes my Father in heaven to be filled with wonder, admiration, and astonishment. I want to live a faith filled extraordinary life.
In my footnotes it says there is only one other time that scriptures record that Jesus marveled and it is when His own people rejected Him (Mark 6:6). Rejection of Holiness. That causes me to marvel to, but one day. Yes, one day every knee will bow (Romans 14:11).

There is no baptistry in this small church so they baptize at Ft. Cobb lake in a natural setting. After capturing a picture of Toni and her husband and receiving some direction including a map from Pastor Harjo, the caravan began. It kind of reminds me of a funeral processional but instead of mourning a death, this funeral processional was celebrating a death and welcoming a new life. When one repents and turns from their sins and trust in Christ, the old has passed away and all things become new (2 Corinthians 5:17).





Even nature showed up for a front row seat of new life.





Toni's family all came out to support her.
After the baptism we headed back to Oklahoma City to watch the Thunder roll over the Grizzlies, but first we had to stop by Nowhere, OK. When map questing how to get to Ft. Cobb, I spotted Nowhere and guess what? They had a sign! Which meant photo op! Population 3, which is kind of worn off. I felt like I was at Green Acres or something....farm livin' is the life for me, land spreadin' out so far and wide, keep Oklahoma City, just give me that country side! 


Words. I need words. On the way home I asked Darryl an open ended question. How did you like the service? In return I get a four word answer! "It was a service." Wow. I need details. What did you think of the church house, the song service, the sermon? How did God speak to you? Give me words, so the truth of the matter is the reason I blog is I need words.

No comments:

Post a Comment