Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Whatever Wednesday Writings - Schizo Sah-weet Potato Feast



Have you ever had one of those nights where one kid is raptly begging you to take them to a favorite restaurant; while the other kid is on the couch just wanting saltine crackers and to feel better; then the husband is following you around like a puppy wondering what is for dinner? Or is it just my family?




This is one of those guilt-don’t waste - search Pinterest - be grateful for what you have type of concoctions. So I found something that had the main ingredient I was trying not to waste by letting it go to Rottville…Sah-weet Potatoes and even though the recipe was only four ingredients, I pinned it, thanks to menopause. The recipe was named “Baked Sweet Potato with Salsa, Avocado & Fried Egg”, but I renamed it. Can you believe no one gave it a like or even re-pinned it? Probably because it looks and sounds so appetizing huh? Poor, lonely sweet potatoes who have been branded and confined to the holidays.



When you read the ingredient list it sounds like it came out of a diabetic magazine. Just for the record I like those recipes, but my mom, who happens to be a diabetic, is convinced that the entire diabetic eating plan is created by people who are high (yes, she said that), so it probably originated in Colorado, just sayin.

So with the four ingredients in mind I dragged myself into the kitchen, with husband following, pulled out the sweet potatoes I got for a good deal at Aldi’s and begin to wash and prepare them to bake in the oven. I don’t know too many people who like sweet potatoes outside of the holidays. Grant it sweet potatoes are ugly and often crooked but did you know they pack a serious punch of Vitamin A? They truly are nutritional Superstars! One sweet potato provides about two and a half (2 ½) times the RDA (recommended dietary allowance) of vitamin A, plus fiber (and who doesn’t need more fiber in their diet?), potassium and vitamin C. See? Superstar! By the way every time I say the word Superstar, I say it like Mary Katherine Gallagher. See! All good things we need that God created and provided for us to enjoy and we get snooty and act like they are only for the special holiday meals, shame on us!

While the potatoes were baking I went to the store to get saltine crackers for the sick kid and when I returned my sweet crooked babies were baked and ready, see how I am warming up to these Superstars? The beggar child and her stalking dad went to church; so I asked my sickly child, would you like some saltine crackers or pigs in a blanket? My trick to see if my children are really sick is to offer them food I know they like, devious I know! I prefer to think of it as Momma’s Sickness Gauge and mind you it did not take hundreds of thousands of government dollars to research its effectiveness. The reply?  Pigs in a blanket.  Really? After I got out in the cold and trekked to the store in misty rain for the saltines? So pigs it was for my piglet because I am short order cook in case you didn’t know. So here is my variation of the four ingredients Sweet Potato recipe from Pinterest along with its new name.

Schizo Sah-weet Potato
1 Medium Sweet Potato, baked
¼ cup of black beans, rinsed
2 oz of egg substitute (or you can live dangerously and use one real egg, yolk and all), fried
¼ cup of reduced fat shredded cheese (your favorite kind – I used WeightWatchers Mexican Style Blend)
¼ of an avocado
2 Tablespoons of Salsa (I like the HOT kind)
Pinch of Cumin
Pinch of Chili Powder
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (told you I like it HOT)
Salt and Pepper if desired

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash your sweet potato, pierce it several times with a fork (great therapy) and wrap in aluminum foil (or not) and bake for 50 minutes or until you can insert a fork in the middle and it is soft.   Once baked (take off the aluminum foil if you used it) and put on a plate, slice it open and mashed it up like you do a baked potato. Then put in a pinch of cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and mix in to the potato.  Next, top the potato with ¼ cup of black beans and cheese. Then spray your skillet with cooking spray and once heated, fry your egg or egg substitute, salt and pepper if you like. Once the egg is fried, flop it on top of your potato that has the beans/cheese on it. Then top that with salsa and avocado and enjoy!

I put it with a side of nothing because it was just that good! This concoction is one of the best unsuspected food combinations known to man and my life seriously went from a mundane evening to glories untold as I sank my teeth in to all that God had made. I may have heard singing it was that good. Eating sweet potatoes out of their natural territory of Thanksgiving and Christmas meals required me to take a risk and see things differently and it paid off! My tummy and eyes thanked me. Nobody else did though. I made it the next evening for Darryl; but after the first bite I can tell if he thinks it is good or not because the first bite is followed by a Mmmmmmmm, well this time it wasn't. Sweet Potato Snob!

I am so glad I took the risk to see something differently. I vote for Sah-weet Potatoes Year Around!

Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corin 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment