Friday, October 15, 2010

Anything Battered & Deep Fried Can't Be All That Bad, Huh?

What do you think about Frogs? It is no surprise to anyone who knows me that frogs scare me to death! In fact, just recently I had a full fledged nightmare, woke up screaming and heart racing as if I was being chased in some horror flick by the villain, when in fact it was a big mastiff dog lying on top of me with a frog in his mouth and the frog was touching my face! Wait, I just had to shake the chills off again! I know you are probably thinking I am a wimp. True, but I think we took care of that fact right off the bat with my blog title! But here is a large, massive, symmetrical dog that was used by Caesar to fight alongside British soldiers and even with human gladiators and I’m worried about a little frog? Yes, absolutely yes! Spiders? No problem, but frogs gross me out, they are nasty, slimy, and they jump! Not to mention they have a sticky tongue that flips in and out with great speed! I John says that fear involves torment (4:18) and believe me, I was being tormented by that mastiff with a frog in his mouth!

Now to really confuse you, I have eaten frog legs! Only once though and only because they were on a buffet, which means I really did not order them. Plus, I was doing my best to face my fears, actually it was good old “you ain’t an Okie until you’ve tried frog legs” peer pressure. At that moment I seriously thought about changing states, but I figured anything battered and deep fried couldn’t be all that bad. To this day, I can’t believe I even sunk my teeth into a frog! Ewww. Truthfully it wasn’t that bad it did taste a lot like chicken and I can wear that badge of accomplishment! So I thought it would be fun to share that experience with the kids over our fall break.

Upon announcement that their dad and I were taking them to The Hungry Frog Restaurant for them to try frog legs, they begin to bend and twist in ways I didn’t know they could! For a moment I thought I might be able to take them to Vegas to star in a show! Jayden announced, “Mom, you are confusing me!” I asked, “Why?” He boldly stated, “Because you hate frogs!” I told him, “but these frogs are okay, because they were a special breed and fed only the best of flies and insects and therefore very tasty! Just for the record, I don’t see the difference between a frog and a toad; to me they are all basically the same creature.


It was a lot of fun! No, we didn’t make them eat real frog legs, but it was fun watching them think they were going to! They opted for the cow instead! In my research to keep my enemies closer I learned that some frogs emit toxins that can be used as natural painkillers and others have chemicals that have shown promise in fighting HIV! I think these frogs should be rounded up and protected somewhere, like a big green frog farm. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see medical science make some sort of breakthrough in fighting disease using frogs! If these frogs show promise; I say – breed them and let them live, but let them live far, far away from me.

I am so thankful that there is nothing too silly or crazy, that I can not cover in prayer. After all Exodus 8:8 says, “Entreat the Lord that He may take away the frogs from me”. I know it is crazy, that I fear frogs, when I serve the God who created them! After all, God does not give me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind. (2 Tim 1:7) It also says there is no fear in love, that perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18) and guess what? I am perfectly loved by my Father above, who in my weaknesses He is strong. The only FROG I like other than Kermit is the one I seen in Mardel’s that said “Fully Rely On God”…I think I will do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment