Thursday, October 28, 2010

You Don't Scare Me, I have a Tween with a Bad School Photo!

School Picture Day! The fuss of what to wear and fixing of the hair! I should have known when she stomped out of my room with a loud grunt that she was not going to be happy with the pictures when they came back. I am not even sure why I elected to purchase the pictures when my niece Katy and I both have expensive cameras and can take pictures. The only reason I can think of is future ammunition for wedding slide shows!

Seriously though the picture is not all that bad, I must confess that I don’t really like the look of any school photos. They don’t capture the personality and they use the same background when I was in school.
See the Fly Away Strand of Hair? It could be hard to miss.

What to do with a tween who is upset over their school photo? Show her really, really bad school photos! I was hoping to help her escape current photo demise by seeing more extreme hair emergencies captured in really bad photos! After all her demise was only a small piece of hair out of place. It wasn’t that she had tin metal all over her teeth. While the really bad class photos on the internet made her chuckle, the picture is still bad (in her opinion) and it is going to be forever memorialized in print in the yearbook!

Too bad I can’t stick my fingers in the picture and finger those few strands where they should be or better yet Photoshop it and send the yearbook people the fixed photo. Well that’s what momma’s do, try to make things better. So I pointed out that she should be more concerned about the unibrow that she inherited from her daddy than a piece of hair out of place. I know I fashioning her individuality, but you have to know the humor in our family. The unibrow has always been a source of comic relief. With that one of her besties, Mica was over, doing her best to make her feel better about the picture and was able to fill Darya in about plucking and waxing eyebrows. So out come the tools! Bring on the tweezers or as Darya called them the pluckers!

Next thing I hear are squeals and shrieks, I may have thought someone was being tortured if it had not been followed by laughter. So what’s a momma to do? Grab the camera! Sure enough Darya was being the recipient of Mica’s Beauty Salon!

Torturing Begins
Off with the eyebrows!

Later I went in to Darya’s room and reminded her that she is beautiful and that while her hair is out of place in the picture, the people will remember her more for who she is on the inside. I am not sure I convinced her of this truth though.

Mom's Photography Shop
Capturing the personality, something momma can do!

But looks really are superficial. God doesn’t care about what we look like on the outside, but how we look on the inside.

The list and items are endless and always changing to be accepted in this culture. It’s all about if you have the right cut, color and style. You are not fashionable unless you have Toms on your feet. You have to wear skinny jeans, which means you have to be the right size. You have to drive the right car, live in the right neighborhood, have the right cell phone, etc…

The Truth is...

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Prov. 31:30

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 1 Pet. 3:3-4

Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. Psalm 35:4

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. Romans 15:7

No comments:

Post a Comment