Friday, October 29, 2010

Shawn Michaels, Hornswoggle and a Prayer

In an effort to encourage a love of reading and to take Dr. Seuss’s advice in that “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” we let Jayden pick out a book at the library and he chose the book, “Heartbreak & Triumph The Shawn Michaels Story”. In case you are like me and don’t know who Shawn Michaels is, he is a World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestler. This autobiography is 340 pages in length and Jayden has been reading it for at least a month now. Let me tell you it is really deep! Deep stuff like, “I didn’t wrestle all the time” and “We had our match. I hit Kevin with the kick to win.” See what I mean? Deep, deep stuff! Darryl and I are suffering through reading it with him at bed time, mostly Darryl (my hero). I finally had enough of the ego so when I read and pray at night with Jayden we read something else for my sanity.

The beginning of the book is encouraging in that it says:

To Jesus Christ, the lord of my life.
Thank you, my king, for loving me and saving me.
All that I am, and all that I hope to become, is meaningless apart from you.
To Rebecca, my Proverbs 31 virtuous wife.
No one person has impacted my life more than you, my love. God chose you for me before he laid the foundation of the earth. I’ve loved you from the moment I first laid eyes on you. I promise to lead, provide, and protect you all the days of my life.
I am honored to be your “Tender Warrior”.
And to Cameron. The moment I held you, my life was forever changed.
The innocence of your words have done more than anyone’s to inspire me to become a man of Godly character. I’ve known no greater joy than the day I became your father.
And to Cheyenne, my “Sugar Britches.”
“It’s a girl!” My eyes filled with tears and my heart was stolen forever. You now lead Daddy around by the finger – a sign of things to come, I’m told. As you grow to find the Lord’s plan and purpose for your life, know in your heart that all you will ever have to do is reach up and Daddy’s hand will be there.
To the three of you, my family. You are my life.
You are my reason for being: all I have, all I have ever hoped to have, all I have ever wanted, and all I will ever need. To have you is to have everything.
The words “I love you” will never truly describe your worth to me.
Thank you for loving me as I am, and thank you for making me whole.
Amazing Grace, how sweet it is that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I’m found,
Was blind but now…now I see…

Well we are on page 279, with 61 pages left and we are waiting for that moment of transformation, because for 279 pages it has been all about Shawn Michaels, wrestling, tearing up hotel rooms, ladders and cages, titles and curtain calls. I certainly don’t mean to sound judgmental, which I am and God is dealing with me on this, but let’s say I’ve been disappointed thus far. Disappointed that there hasn’t been more about how Jesus found Shawn. How Shawn’s life has changed since being redeemed from the hand of the enemy. But there are still 61 pages left, we hope to hear how the remarkable power of God transformed the heart and life of Shawn Michael.


In case you were wondering what Shawn Michaels looked like as a baby, here is his baby picture.

There is always non-stop action happening in our front room.

So as we finished reading last night and we said our evening prayers, which by the way included being able to find a rare WWE “Hornswoggle” wrestling figurine. We had already checked out Toys R Us and Wal-Mart with no success. Then we stopped by Big Lots on a tip for some long sleeve undershirts for $5 each and guess what? The God of Heaven above heard and answered our prayers and the little Irish person “Hornswoggle” came out of hiding. I wished you could have seen Jayden’s face when he found him, knowing that God heard our prayers and answered them! For a moment I thought I heard the Irish theme song “Hes De Ma” playing in the background, wait no! It was Hallelujah! Jayden and I were praising God! Not so much over a simple little toy, because we could have purchased him online, but that God cares about the little things in our lives, that he hears our voice, chose to answer this simple prayer and thus increased our faith a little more.

Jayden and Hornswoggle, the talk of the neighborhood.
So now the ring is complete, well almost.

Jesus said, "One's life does not consist in the abundance of things he possess." (Luke 12:15) How I pray that we will be "content with such things as [we] have. For we are grateful and thankful that “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” (James 1:17)

He is faithful. He is true to life. He is my Father. Abba, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment