Sunday, November 20, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 19 - School Band and College Football

Band Nerds...I heard one of Darya's friend mock her when she said that she would be doing band as her elective rather than "block"; being all spiritual as I am...I returned  the mock, well they are…they are….Block Heads! Okay, I didn’t really say it - remember I am wimp, but I thought it and therefore it technically still counts. Evidently, momma bear came out wagging her paw saying apparently you don’t you know research shows that playing music enhances cognitive learning and facilitates growth in many areas of human development, i.e., motivation, social skills, time management, situational awareness, aesthetic appreciation, etc. Why is it that people have to mock others for their choices? Whether it is band or block, or do I dare…Cowboys or Sooners.

Darya's 7th Grade "Beat the Holiday Rush" Band Concert.
She plays a baritone horn. She is on the back row, next to the BIG Ole' Tuba.

I know I am probably treading on some dangerous ground since there has been so much and so many people posting on Facebook about the “other fans” about losing and winning. Is football that serious? Apparently it is in Oklahoma. You either bleed orange or crimson, should you cross the state line, you best declare your loyalty to one or our state teams. Hopefully, the fans would quit confusing wins/loses with what really matters in life. That our perspective would see the wins and losses for what they are…temporal. Football, touchdowns, victories will all fade, but what we do for Christ is what matters and is all that will last.

As a believer in and follower of Christ, I choose not to call out the other team’s fans in any form of taunting or provoking. I don’t know how many times, I read, “Where are they now?” “They sure are quiet now?” “Now that you are losing, I don’t hear you!”, etc…

God’s word instructs me as a believer and follower of Christ, “Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving (Ephesians 5:4). Which is what this time of year is supposed to be about, being thankful. Why not be thankful that we have always had two very strong state college teams? While I am a Sooner fan and alumni, I root for the Cowboys on every game except when they play the Sooners and I certainly don’t rejoice in their losses rather it be on or off the field, the court, or any other place.

Let’s not loss our minds over this, build walls and hold grudges. Let’s do the opposite, let’s do what the Word of God tells us to do and let’s be thankful.

So, here it is another blog post of my weakness, my wimpyness, another confession of my failure and my need for grace,…much grace. On this day I am thankful 1) for band and the opportunities that it affords Darya; and 2) for state college football. I pray God will help me gain a heart of wisdom and grant me an eternal perspective, to help me see what truly matters. May my time here, in this place, in this stage, count for eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment