Thursday, November 10, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 9 - God's Word

The 5.6 earthquake and all the aftershocks have shaken my son’s security to the core. Since we’ve experienced that honker of quake, my nine-year old son has had a spirit of fear and uneasiness over him. Especially when the evening comes, the time the quake happened; he begins to ask a lot of questions about earthquakes and our safety. I have to agree with him that it indeed was a scary 45 seconds of shaking our life up and wondering when and if it was going to stop.

The people in California where earthquakes are common tell me they would much rather deal with an earthquake than tornadoes. I disagree, with tornadoes we know they are coming and have time to take shelter; with earthquakes you get no warning.

Fear that torments is a horrible thing to experience and live with and that is why God didn’t give us that type of fear. That type of fear paralyzes you. I know, I seen the fear turn my chatty boy into a boy that could have won the “silent game”. It is hard to watch someone you love and care for living in fear of the unknown and while fear is difficult; there is a healthy fear, a type of fear that brings wisdom and safety for the “fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 1:7).

Tuesday night fear still had a grip on my son, but his dad and I weren’t going to allow it. Before his dad came home from working the church banquet. Jayden begin to spit back to me scripture that we had already instilled in him and that is “God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind…right, mom?” That’s right Jayden. “And perfect love casts out all fear.” That’s right Jayden and we are perfectly loved. Today I am thankful for God's Word which is truth. It brings comfort when we hide it in our hearts, He brings it to memory when we need it. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment