Tuesday, November 8, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 8 - BFFs

Pamela. Spam. Pamelita. Goober. Names of my BFF. I could probably write a book, wait…I have written a book on my adventures with Pam. Let’s just say some people have written songs about our legendary adventures. While some are performed live, others like Francesca Battistelli “This is the Stuff” just fit and we tag as ours because well she is always losing her keys in the great unknown and she is always saying call me because I can’t find my phone. Me? 45 in a 35…sirens and fines….while I am running behind. We’ve been through a lot together and most of it has been her fault. :O) However, we both know how incredibly we are blessed in our little mess and stress of life.

Pam is the kind of person that when you meet her you never-ever forget her! More than likely because she has made you laugh or feel good about yourself, or both. People are always asking us if we are sisters, but God knew that one mother couldn’t handle us both, so he gave us each our own mother, but we both claim each other’s mom. While we are a lot alike in some ways, I think we are more complete opposite, more like the “Odd Couple” for example, I prefer the city, she is a country gal. I prefer the beach, she prefers the mountains. I need organization, she needs a labeling system. I choose variety, she prefers consistency. I need order, she thrives in disorder.
I met Pam about 10 years ago in a CHR PCC Coding Class I was teaching. She was the student in my class that always had her hand up. She wanted to learn and she wanted to learn it all…NOW.

She is now our National Lead CHR PCC Training Coordinator and goes from Alaska to Nashville and all the places in between to teach CHR PCC Coding, Data Entry and Reports for us. In the good ole’ days we traveled a lot together...our theme song was Johnny Cash “We’ve Been Everywhere Man” we even took our picture by the Tenbuck2 sign. Now…hardly ever.

Today we had a one day coding training so she came up the day before to spend a night. The kids were thrilled because “Aunt Pam” was coming to spend a night and that means FUN! She is better than the Cat in the Hat and she has more stuff in her bag than the Barney bag. She is a quarter past silly and that is why they love her.
It is a tradition the moment she arrives at my house, that is if she doesn’t get lost and go to the wrong house, that Jayden and her play “tag..you’re it!” and run through my entire house screaming. In my life time, I never thought I would have to tell an adult not to run and scream in my house, but then again, I have never known anyone like Pam.
Jayden, Darya, Pam and I went to Blockbusters to get a movie. I stayed in the car and watched from afar, but I could tell on the faces of the kids that they were enjoying her. Later Jayden said, “she totally embarrassed me” I said, yeah that’s because she is from Wynnewood. What was so embarrassing? It was her child-like reaction when she spotted the Jiffy Pop!! Can you imagine an adult jumping up and down in a store begging the kids to get the Jiffy Pop? Well, try your best. That is Spam!

Jayden is still in shock of being embarrassed at Blockbuster by Spam.
Can you see the thrill of Jiffy Pop on her face?
It's so easy to entertain my kids!
At this puffy point, Jay was done. I'm pretty sure he thought it was going to explode.
So Spam had to take over, which is a dangerous thing. Anything that can cause
burns, cuts or poisionings are a dangerous thing in the hands of Pam. But no
worries, I was there to document the entire thing!
So we had our CHR PCC One Day Training and the one thing that students nationwide LOVE about Pam is her teaching style. She has a gift not only to teach, but to do it in a way the students don't fall sleep and have fun. She is the only instructor that has received such high marks nationwide, coast to coast that the National Training Center asked her to write her top ten tips for training!

She made me play "Ben Bailey" and Cash Cab. Are you impressed I can
drive a cab with my legs crossed?
My contestants were winning, they were so happy they weren't going to
have to walk to Wal-Mart. Afterall that's were the Indians meet...it's Gathering of Nations.
O no my passengers got kicked to the curb with the third X.
The 18 pizzas I ordered for our working lunch
End of day, they all survived and give us a THUMBS up!
I love my job. I love making a difference. What I really love is having someone special to share it with. Pam makes those unbearable mettings - tolerable; those intimidating deadlines ~ attainable; those long flights ~ both productive and entertaining; those lonely times ~ bearable. When I "discovered" Pam, I sound like Columbus, huh? I knew I found a gem, not only her ability to teach others, but her willingness to help and most importantly she reminds me that the gift of laughter and fun ~ free the mind from barriers and restrictions that we encounter daily at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment