Friday, November 11, 2011

30 Days of Gratitute - Day 10 - Death of His Saints

On the 10 of November I went to the funeral of my co-worker’s wife. As I sat there and looked at the screen that displayed her full name with her birth date and date of death, I let my mind drift into morbidity. Wondering how I would feel seeing my spouse’s name on the screen. Then I thought about how it would feel to see your child’s name on the screen. Both of her parents are still living. I can’t even imagine either loss. My heart ached for their loss, yet it rejoiced that she was no longer suffering and I reflected on the truth sung by Chris Tomlin, “I will Rise”.



The service was all together God glorifying as the family celebrated her life and her home going. I know the word celebration may seem like an odd description to use in regards to a funeral, but for those who are saved, not of themselves or their works, but it is a gift. Gifts are worth celebrating, especially a gift like salvation, eternal life in heaven. Life without pain. Without suffering…hate…tears,…without sin. A reunion with other believers, but most importantly with our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. Worthy is the Lamb!
The officiating minister of the funeral made the truth of life, death, eternity and salvation very clear. He pointed to the casket and said one day we will all be here. True. From dust we come to dust we go. When life is given, death will come and so will judgment. For it is appointed for man once to die and then to face the judgment and then life eternal. Eternity in hell or heaven.

They spoke of her as a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, a Sunday School teacher, and a sister-in-Christ who was always ministering to other women, but what caught my ear was the prayer journal she kept. They read her last entry. Which was of course for her family, for them to know Christ, that her life would bring glory to Him and that He always answers prayers, that He is faithful.
What a testimony to leave.

She was obviously thought of well by others and I am sure she has heard what I hope to hear one day and that is, “well done, good and faithful servant…enter into the joy of your Lord”.

Today I am thankful that it is true, “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.” (Psalm 116:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment